Students learn how to effectively analyze marketing problems and opportunities and develop successful marketing strategies. Topics include strategic marketing practices; the marketing plan; implementing, monitoring and controlling marketing strategy programs; and analysis and solutions to marketing problems. A marketing strategy simulation is used to reinforce course concepts.
What are the Course Objectives?
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Describe current strategic marketing practices in a changing environment.
- Formulate a marketing strategy based on environmental opportunities and threats, the firm's resources, corporate and business-unit strategies, and the need to attain an enduring competitive edge.
- Compose a marketing plan based on the components of product planning, pricing, distribution methods and promotional activities.
- Construct knowledge of required activities for implementing, monitoring and controlling marketing strategy programs.
- Objectively analyze and solve marketing problems and evaluate their implications for the overall organization.
- Demonstrate advanced teamwork and interpersonal skills.
Who should do this course?
This interactive program is designed for managers and professionals who want a firmer grasp of marketing strategy, processes, and best practices. Participants might include:
- Professionals who are new to a marketing role or who lack formal marketing education
- Marketers who want to evaluate emerging trends in a strategic context
- Decision makers in other functions - such as sales, finance, product management, product development, or general management - who want to work more effectively with their company’s marketing team
Lesson 1: Strategic Marketing Practices
- Assessing external markets, segments and competitive space
- Assessing and designing internal marketing strategies
- Strategic marketing planning process
- Customer relationship management and customer satisfaction
- Segmentation, targeting, positioning and competitive strategies
- SWOT analysis
- Portfolio analysis and BCG matrix
Lesson 2: The Marketing Plan
- Product strategies: innovation, new product development, brand management
- Pricing strategies: value chain and pricing strategies
- Promotion strategies: advertising, sales promotion, internet
- Place strategies
Lesson 3: Implementing, Monitoring and Controlling Marketing Strategy Programs
- Budgeting and financial analysis for marketing planning and control
Lesson 4: Analysis and Solutions to Marketing Problems
- Advanced teamwork and interpersonal skills
- Marketing strategy simulation game